Accredited in 2004 with B++, Amar Singh College is a multi-faculty PG institute having served the society for more than a century. The college started its functioning in November 1913 first as Amar Singh Technical Institute to teach students art, culture and basic skills like masonry, carpentry etc. However, it was formally opened by Maharaja Partap Singh on 29th May 1914. The Technical Institute was converted into Amar Singh College in June 1942 through bifurcation of Sri Pratap College commemorating the name of the father of Hari Singh, the then Maharaja of Kashmir. The college is the nodal college for all colleges in Kashmir and
Ladakh and has been declared as Lead College in 2012. In June 2014 the college has been declared as the Head Quarter of Cluster University under the centrally sponsored scheme RUSA [Rashtriya Shiksha Uchatter Abhiyan].
The college is located behind Bakshi Stadium with Gogji Bagh on its East, Ram Bagh on its West, Iqbal Park to its North and Tulsi Bagh on its Southern side. At Global level the college lies at 74o-48 `N latitude, 34o-03 `E longitude and 1589m altitude. It is spread over 35 hectares of land divided into a large play ground, parks, gardens and infrastructural area.
At present the college has ten double storey buildings, ten single storey buildings, ten single storey buildings and six lavatory blocks making a total build-up area of about 17,441m2. This includes the glorious heritage building, representing finest blend of Anglo-Indian architecture, constructed in 1910 for running a technical institute. Presently it houses Chemistry Department, male staff room, Commerce Department, UGC, IQAC Cell, NSS and NCC rooms besides having six lecture theatres and three large halls for the conduct of examinations.
Dr. M. D. Taseer, an eminent intellectual of the subcontinent was the first Principal of the college followed by academic luminaries like Prof. B. K. Madan, Dr. Khalifa Abdul Hakeem, Dr. R. K. Bhan to mention only a few. Prof. (Dr.) Mohammad Aslam Baba, the present principal is 29th Principal who joined this college on 6th August, 2015.
The historical pre-eminence of the college as a seat of higher learning hardly needs any reiteration. Its distinguished alumni have made a mark in various walks of life both locally and internationally. A galaxy of academic luminaries has been heading the institution since 1942 and this tradition continues till date.
At present the college is a multi-faculty PG institute catering Arts, Science, Humanities, Computer Application, Commerce, BA Honours and PG Geography